|Google Map:||Google Location Map|
|Seating Plan:||Seating Plan|
|Tube Station:||Charing Cross|
|Parking:||MasterPark at Trafalgar Square.|
Powered by Transport for London
Guide dogs allowed in the auditorium or staff will dog-sit by prior arrangement office. Dogs will be looked after in the Manager’s Office.
Radio receivers with headsets collect from Cloakroom at Dress Circle level. Please book in advance, deposit required.
Access to the main auditorium through a side entrance from the Embankment side of Carting Lane. The Box Office can provide a map showing the route (approx. 100m from main entrance). Carting Lane is fairly steep - helper needed, please inform the Box Office at the time of booking and contact the Stage Door on arrival. From here, access is level to the front of the Dress Circle. 2 spaces for wheelchair users on the right hand side. Companions can sit nearby in F1 or 2. Transfer seating is available to F1 in the Dress Circle. Each wheelchair user must bring a non-disabled companion with them.
Adapted toilet to the right of the Dress Circle.
No steps to Box Office through 3 sets of double doors which open inwards. Box Office counter is to right. From a door beside the foyer entrance there are 2 steps into the Upper Circle. 33 steps down to Dress Circle (2 steps between rows), 71 down to Stalls. Staircases have handrails on both sides. Separate entrance for wheelchair users or special needs at street level via a ramp from Carting Lane.
|Owner:||Ambassador Theatre Group and the Tulbart Group|
Designed by C J Phipps and decorated by Collinson & Locke, the Savoy Theatre opened its doors on 10th October 1881 with a transfer of Gilbert and Sullivan's opera, Patience. Both the theatre and the adjacent Savoy Hotel, built in 1889, were financed by impresario Richard D’Oyly Carte from the considerable profits of Gilbert and Sullivan’s operettas. The theatre became famous as the first public building in the world to be lit entirely by electricity and for the traffic quirk of Savoy Court which is the only road in Britain where cars are required by law to drive on the right hand side. This was a special privilege conferred by Parliament to enable visitors to the theatre to climb straight from their carriages into the theatre. In June 1929 the Victorian auditorium was demolished and rebuilt by architect Frank Tugwell with decorative interior designs by Basil Ionides. The Theatre reopened in October 1929 with a revival of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Gondoliers. Following a major fire in February 1990, the theatre was restored back to its former Art Deco glory under the guidance of the theatre's late chairman, Sir Hugh Wontner, and the distinguished architect, Sir William Whitfield. The theatre reopened on 19th July 1993 with a Royal Gala performed by English National Ballet. In 1997 The Savoy Group entrusted the management of the Savoy Theatre to a group led by Sir Stephen Waley-Cohen. The Ambassador Theatre Group and the Tulbart Group took over management of the 1,200 seat venue in October 2005.