|Google Map:||Google Location Map|
|Seating Plan:||Seating Plan|
|Tube Station:||Victoria Underground Station 100m.|
|Parking:||There are single yellow lines and meter parking all round the theatre. The Masterpark car park in Cumberland Street offers a 50% discount to theatregoers on production of a properly validated parking ticket and theatre ticket. Tickets may be validated in the cloakroom in the Marble Foyer of the Victoria Palace. The theatre's main entrance is on a red route.|
Powered by Transport for London
Guide dogs are permitted in the auditorium and staff can dog sit by prior arrangement. Dogs will be looked after in the manager's office.
There is an infrared system in the Stalls with both loop and conventional type headsets. Headsets must be booked in advance and a deposit is required. Occasionally performances are Captioned & Sign Interpreted.
Wheelchair access is via the second EXIT in Allington Street to the West or left of the theatre - ask a member of staff to open the door. There are no steps from Allington Street to the back of the stalls. There are two spaces for wheelchairs, P36 and M36 with seating for companions in the same row. It is possible to transfer from a wheelchair to any aisle seat and up to four wheelchairs may be stored per performance. The theatre is licensed for six wheelchairs; four transferring and two remaining in the chair.
There are Ladies and Gents toilets on every level of the Theatre.
The Victoria Palace Theatre is situated on the north side of Victoria Street opposite Victoria Station. There is a 3cm step up through swing doors from the street to the main foyer where the box office is on the left. Staircases have handrails on both sides and steps are highlighted. There are 4 steps down from the foyer to the Stalls and 28 steps up from the foyer to the Dress Circle where there are two steps between rows. Access to the Grand Circle is not suitable for patrons with walking difficulties.
|Owner:||Stephen Waley-Cohen Theatres|
There has been a theatre on this site since 1832, originally known as Moy’s Music Hall, well before the coming of the railways. This was then renamed in 1863 and became The Royal Standard Music Hall. In 1886, when Victoria Street and Victoria Station were built, the theatre was demolished and the rebuilt Royal Standard Music Hall became "the most comfortable Hall of entertainment in London... no expense has been spared."
The arrival of electricity and other early 20th century theatrical technology meant that drastic changes were needed. The oldest licensed music hall in London was demolished. Again in 1910, no expense was spared and Frank Matcham's Victoria Palace cost the huge sum of £12,000 to build.
The theatre retains much of its original character, even more so since the auditorium, front of house and dressing rooms have recently been refurbished.
The grey marble foyer with its gold mosaic and white Sicilian marble pillars is much as it was in 1911. Outside, the facade, canopy and cupola have recently been restored to their former glory.
The auditorium holds 1550 seats and is fully air-conditioned. It features a magnificent sliding roof, a simple precursor of air-conditioning. Originally the Stalls, Dress Circle and Grand Circle each had their own entrance and their own box office selling pre-printed tickets from a paper plan.
From 1911, the year after its rebuilding to its present design by Frank Matcham, the Victoria Palace had a gilded statue of prima ballerina Anna Pavlova poised above it. This was owner Alfred Butt's homage to the dancer he had spectacularly introduced to London.
The tribute was not appreciated by the superstitious ballerina, who would never look at her image as she passed the theatre, drawing the blinds in her car. The original statue was taken down for safety reasons in 1939 before the blitz and has completely disappeared. It is not known whether it is in someone's garden or was turned to wartime military use, such as bullets.
The Victoria Palace moved into the new millennium with an adventurous building programme; enlarging the Foyer, WC facilities and increasing the dressing room space, whilst maintaining all the feel and character of a historic building.
In 2006, a replica of the original statue of Pavlova was reinstated to its original place above the cupola of the Victoria Palace and her gold-leafed figure once again gleams above us.